Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A great day!

What a day it has been. It started off as any other day, as most days usually do if they're called "days". I called my buddy Brian and went over to his place to practice some Hapkido. He is going for his black belt very soon and he wanted to run through some stuff. It's the first time I have been locked and thrown since leaving the Hapkido school here. It was a total blast! In spite of everything that has happened with my old teacher, I have discovered that I still LOVE Hapkido!

While we were running through some stuff I received a call from the Manager in Swift Current informing me that everything had worked out and wondering if I could start work on Monday. Hoo-yeah baby, I could start on Monday!!! I didn't say "hoo-yeah" to him, nor did I refer to him as "baby", as that wouldn't have been very professional but I do believe that my voice indicated my emotional state when I told him that Monday would be just fine.

I got home and spoke with a great lady from the HR department and then had some forms emailed to me. I got them faxed back and everything is a go. It's been quite a ride so far.

In all this I have seen God's hand. From the situation with my old employer/Hapkido teacher, to the extended holiday I have had (2 months) while our financial situation has been met, to getting the job and then the issue with the HR department. I do not remember a time in my life of being so stretched with the only hope being that Christ was in control of it all. The times of just waiting have been the hardest. Waiting for everything. The waiting has been the part of all of this that has killed me. I'm a guy that has to do, not not do. There have been moments of wavering in my trust, but thankfully God's faithfulness does not depend on me. I am so thankful that Jesus Christ IS, and that I don't have to conjure up that pull-up-your-bootstraps feeling and continue on. I am just me, nothing special here, and He does what he is going to do (all those things that God requires of me He takes care of in me) and we both continue on. That's rest. That's freedom. That is Jesus Christ in my life.

And so, all this continues to be Him at work taking care of me, my wife and my family. So far, it's be quite a ride!

4 comments:

Jim said...

Wow, that does sound like quite a day! (How come it took me so long to find your blog?? I just discovered it!)

Congrats on the job! Maybe you can call him "baby" once you get to know him.

Did you know we just had a family down here that's preparing to move to Mexico to do martial arts as a ministry? Check it out!

Curt said...

Thanks Jim. I think I'll hold off on the "baby" tag, though :).

What kind of martial arts does the family do?

Colleen said...

Curtisimus! Awesome! This post was a massive encouragement to me - 1) cuz I'm stoked for you and 2) cuz I was personally encouraged.

THANKS!

Curt said...

I'm glad you were encouraged. Jesus is awesome!, ain't He?