Friday, March 21, 2008

Today...a couple thousand years ago.

I have been thinking off and on this week about Good Friday, the day a long time ago that Jesus Christ underwent the farce of a trial, was severely tortured and then executed only to rise from the dead three days later.

The following Scripture verses are found in the Book of Isaiah chapter 53. Written many centuries before Jesus was born but tells of what he, the Christ, was to go through and why.

He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
Like one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised and we esteemed him not.

Surely he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.

But he was pierced for our(my) transgressions,
he was crushed for our(my) iniquities;
the punishment that brought us(me) peace
was upon him,
and by his wounds we(I) are healed.

We all like sheep have gone astray,
each has turned to his own way;
And the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
(all italics are mine)


Below is a link to a YouTube video from the movie "The Passion of the Christ". If I could figure out how I would have posted the vid here but...oh well. UPDATE: Thanks to my wonderful friend, Colleen, I now have the vid. WOOHOO! You ROCK, Colleen!

No comments: