Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Then and now.

The other day my wife was called and told that our movie rental account had been chosen to have a free movie. That was pretty cool! So she went out and got a movie called the Kite Runner. It sounded like something that would be a good sit down to watch movie. Without going much further here I will say that we started it and then promptly stopped it after seeing the movie rating as it came on the screen. So, some of you may have seen the Kite Runner and have nothing but accolades for it. So, anyways, the rating of the movie flashed on the screen and among the ditties mentioned it said, "...sexual assault of a child..." This actually made us a little sick when we saw it. I know this kind of shit happens in the world and there are movies with references to children being abused but do I really need to, possibly, watch a scene that makes reference to this? Again, not having seen the movie I have only my imagination to go on with this but that is definitely not where I want to go.

We then put in an old black and white movie we have starring James "Jimmy" Stewart called, "Mr Smith Goes to Washington". Put aside all the "Rah Rah America" stuff in there and it was awesome! Such a contrast between how movies were made back then compared to now. No naked women, raunchy sex scenes, no violence up the wazoo, swearing every second letter, etc. Watching it actually made me want to be a better person (I can't believe I just said that). Movies rarely have this effect on me. You have a man in a position of power thinking about the good of others and he's fighting the corruption all around him. He doesn't fight it with violence but with talk and upright action and the corruption does not make him compromise. A man of principal who does the right thing because it's the right thing, regardless of personal cost. Man, what a role model! What a life to aspire to! The Bible talks about the Christian living a life that makes others thirst for Christ. A life "seasoned with salt". If the salt loses its saltiness.... Jimmy Stewart, a.k.a Mr Smith's life made me thirsty.

If there was more of that in the movie world would that kind of movie make money? I think the movie would have to have the sex, violence and nudity with a character who gets the job done in order to be successful. It's just nice watching something good that doesn't have that.

Way ta go, Jimmy!!!

1 comment:

Jim said...

Fun movie. I haven't watched it for a long time - I should watch it again. :)